$30,000 Supports Fire Services in the District of Bay of Islands

Written by on October 16, 2014

Enhancing Public Safety for Residents and Families

 

$30,000 Supports Fire Services in the District of Bay of Islands

 

Nacogdoches House FireThe Honourable Judy Manning, Minister of Justice and Public Safety and Minister Responsible for Fire and Emergency Services-Newfoundland and Labrador, announced today that approximately $30,000 is being invested to improve firefighting capacity for communities in the District of Bay of Islands.

 

“Throughout our province, brave women and men put their lives on the line to protect residents of our communities. I thank them for their dedication, and I assure them of our government’s unwavering commitment to funding equipment and training to make their work safer and more efficient. This $30,000 will be used to purchase additional equipment that will enable firefighters in Gillams and Irishtown-Summerside to carry out their duties more effectively.”

– The Honourable Judy Manning, Minister of Justice and Public Safety and Minister Responsible for Fire and Emergency Services-Newfoundland andLabrador

 

Funding will be used to purchase pagers for Gillams and vehicle extrication equipment for Irishtown-Summerside.

 

The equipment for each community will be cost-shared, with the Provincial Government providing 90 per cent and communities covering the remaining 10 per cent. Detailed information on these investments is contained in the backgrounder below.

 

Budget 2014: Shared Prosperity, Fair Society, Balanced Outlook includes $5 million in fire vehicle and equipment funding.

 

QUICK FACTS

  • An investment of approximately $30,000 will be used for the purchase of firefighting equipment for two communities in the District of Bay of Islands.
  • Through Budget 2014, over $5 million is being invested to support fire protection services and the purchase of equipment and vehicles across the province.
  • There are approximately 5,900 volunteer firefighters supporting approximately 272 fire departments province-wide.

 


Current track

Title

Artist