NOW HIRING: BROADCAST JOURNALIST
Who we are
Bay of Islands Radio (BOIR) is a non-profit community radio station broadcasting from Corner Brook, NL at 100.1 FM. Since 2011, the station has pride itself on producing a wide variety of spoken word and music programming for residents of the Bay of Islands and Humber Valley regions. As the only local radio station remaining in the region, Bay of Islands Radio values the importance of maintaining local programming and being active in the community.
Description of the position
We’re looking for a dynamic, determined journalist who cares about local, community and civic journalism.
- Title: Broadcast Journalist
- Location: Corner Brook, NL
- Term: 12-month contract position
- Salary: $45,000 – $50,000 (depending on level of experience)
- Ideal start date: April 10, 2023
- Expected working hours: weekdays, with schedule flexibility for weekend and evening reporting as necessary
- Must be living within the area or willing to relocate – hybrid remote work available
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
- Write and record regular newscasts for broadcast
- Write and publish news content suitable for social media and web platforms
- Chase stories that are relevant to communities in the Bay of Islands and Humber Valley area
- Attend press conferences and other media availabilities
- Cover city/town council meetings and court proceedings, as required
- Monitor e-mail, social media, and telephone for potential news sources
- Localize regional, national, and internationally trending stories for our listening audience
- Broadcast live from events of interest or breaking news
- Other duties, as assigned by station management
- Hold a degree or diploma in Journalism, Communications or Arts from an accredited academic or technical institution OR have equivalent experience in broadcast, print/digital journalism or writing (minimum 3 years of journalistic/radio experience)
- Excellent radio, interview, and communication skills
- Excellent writing and research skills
- Strong people skills: you are a great listener, speaker, and interviewer
- Deadline-driven and have an eye for detail
- Knowledge of community and regional concerns or news and a passion for local journalism
- Critical thinking and ability to analyze issues and to remain impartial
- Social media savvy, for both posting and research purposes
- Experience or ability to work in a broadcast studio environment
- Experience using DAW software such as Adobe Audition and Audacity
- Ability to learn radio-related software such as PlayoutONE, MusicMaster, and LUCI Live
- Experience using portable recording devices
- A valid driver’s license, reliable vehicle, and a good driving record
At Bay of Islands Radio, we pride ourselves on our commitment to the community, and we’re looking for a journalist who shares our values. So, if that sounds like you, please apply to firstname.lastname@example.org with a cover letter describing why you feel you’re a good fit, a current resume, and a few examples of your work.
DEADLINE TO APPLY: MARCH 27, 2023 – 11:59PM NDT
Bay of Islands Radio encourages applications from a diverse range of candidates.
We thank all applicants who apply for the position. Unfortunately, we cannot respond to all applicants. Only those candidates under consideration will be contacted.
This position is funded by the Community Radio Fund of Canada and the Government of Canada’s Local Journalism Initiative.